Tuesday, March 30, 2010

50 FIRSTS #17: 1st Census Form

I'm not sure how this is possible, but I just filled out and sent in my first census form. I was in Jerusalem for the year in 2000, so must've missed doing it (maybe Yorke filled it out for me??) In 1990, my then husband must've done so. 1980 - last year of high school so I guess my parents did it.

I have to confess that although short and certainly not difficult, some of the questions did make me think "should I really be answering this??" I did it, but wish there was a more secure way to do so.

2 comments:

j's mom said...

As an amateur genealogist, I have to say I was very disappointed in the questions. Old census records are a treasure trove of information about the past. What will my descendants have to look at in 84 year when this census is public, but name, address,race and age. Even the one ten years ago asked where you were born, occupation, years of education among other things. The 1980 one asked extra things like do you have indoor plumbing, if so how many bathrooms, do you own a television, do you live on a farm, etc. These little tidbits are what give me a glimpse into the lives of my ancestors. I know that there are usually longer forms with more questions that get sent to a random few, but that won't help most future seekers of family history. I don't dig in the ground like some people I know, but I surely do "dig" in old records on a daily basis. How sad for future genealogists.

j's mom said...

Oh, and yes. I do agree. There should have been a more secure way of answering. They had ten years to come up with this brief form and I don't think they gave much thought to one's personal security issues when sending the info back to them.