Friday, January 25, 2008

Empty Pockets

I'm back...and pretty tired, so this will be short - as Jaime pointed out, I've had my own little "Amazing Race" episode. We left Ushuaia (in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina - the world's southernmost city) in the morning, and apparently my wallet stayed there as well. I then went from the tip of South America to far northern Indiana with no money, credit cards, bank card, or license. Added a certain excitement to the day.

Fortunately, my passport and tickets were not in the same package, and thanks to the generosity of new friends made on the trip who offered me all sorts of money, it was a non-issue.

While in Ushuaia, Aerolineus (the internal Argentinian airline...to be avoided if at all humanly possible) loaded all of us on a plane, ready to go, then realized it was the wrong plane, so we all had to change to another (on the way down, they had to stop for gas in the middle of Patagonia...don't get me started...). Four hours later and we were in Buenos Aires for a 7 hour layover, then an 11 hour flight to Atlanta. Another 7 hour layover and a 2 hour flight and home again home again.

Nice to be back, I should be back up and conscious long about Sunday... Lots of pictures!! Fun to come -- 60 foot waves in the Drake passage, a breaching baby Humpback whale right outside my window, up close and personal time with Leopard seals (hippos of the Antarctica), hiking volcanoes, standing on the top of Cape Horn, lots and lots of penguins....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, glad to hear the passport was with you, that could have been much tougher. Welcome back, look forward to pictures and Fun Facts.