Sunday, January 6, 2008

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Icky grey day...not that I really noticed however. I slept 13 straight hours, no bathroom breaks, no lying there with eyes open, just sleep (an the occasional cat nudging when they wanted me awake, but who opted for snuggling when they realized I wouldn't budge). I feel GREAT, so must've need it.

Might've been because I watched two emotionally draining films last night. They were supposed to be background noise while I worked on a paper, but I got caught up in each. The first - An Inconvenient Truth. Damn that was good, I'm late to game on watching it, but am glad I did before leaving for the South Pole.

And the second? Bridge to Terabithia. It came on afterwards and I figured it was a kids movie, I wouldn't be interested. Wrong-o! It was one of the saddest films I've seen in a long time. I don't know if it was because I was tired, or if Al Gore set me up for it, but I cried like a baby. Wracking sobbing, not just teary-eyed wimpy crying. Man, I hope it's NOT a kids film. Poor Maz didn't know what to make of his "pillow" blowing her nose so often (he was 'trying' to sleep on my lap at the time).

So on a happier note, yesterday I spent the afternoon in the lab with Sara and Laura. Then Matt joined us for dinner at the Mishawaka Brewery. Fun time, no food babies this meal however ;-) Here's a shot of them working away in the lab, since I know they missed having their picture taken continuously...

__________________
ANTARCTICA FUN FACTS -- The idea of the mythical continent Terra Australis Incognito originated with the Classical Greeks. Both the Mela Map of 43 M.E. and the Ortelius map of 1570 show this mythical continent. Ptolemy believed that the earth had to be balanced or it would topple over. So he figured that there had be a land yet unknown to Europeans somewhere below the Indian Ocean. For over 200 years hundreds of European navigators set across the seas searching for the Unknown Southern Land. They expected to find gold and other treasures. The idea persisted until Captain James Cook explored the Antarctic seas. (Source: Classroom Antarctica, The Maps and Australian Studies Center)

No comments: