Thursday, February 7, 2008

Bye Bye Mitt

NOW what will Ann Coulter and Rush Linbaugh do??? Oh the humanity!!

I finally came to a conclusion yesterday as to who I'd like to see win. My vote will go to the Democratic candidate for sure, but my hope is -- that candidate is Obama. I've heard the arguments against this choice: a) he can't win because the nation is still too prejudice, b) he doesn't have the experience, c) he's too young, etc.

Yet I can't help but wonder -- what exactly is it at the moment that people think is so good? We're close to hitting $500,000,000,000 for a war we had no reason to begin in the first place - something Obama realized (and had the chutzpah to say back when it was quiet unpopular to do so). Almost 4,000 American soldiers are dead and over 1 million Iraqis. That doesn't begin to address the iceberg that is: the number injured. We've a non-existent environmental policy. The President thinks God speaks to him. Our science policy is frighteningly anti-science. And so on.

Maybe it is time for something potentially quite different. If the argument is that Bush had 'experience' - then the experience argument is mute. If the choice is between a woman, a black man, and a 'liberal' Republican - the race issue may not hold the amount of water some claim. He's too young -- but young can mean fresh, energetic, innovative (as my students show me daily). I would love to see a woman as president, but have been repeatedly disappointed by Hillary's chameleon-esque policies ever since she ran for office in New York.

So, put me down for Obama '08 !! And whether you agree or not...you gotta admit the Ann Coulter skeleton above is pretty funny, no??

No comments: