Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mac Cultdom

I recently saw a student with a new Mac Air computer and I have to say, I was smitten. It is totally illogical, no CD/DVD drive, no firewire, one USB, no ethernet hub, and you can't replace the battery on a long flight, etc. Really quite impractical most of the time. But it looked SOOOOOO good. And was light as a feather. And did I mention, it looked SOOOOO good.

I'm still lusting after the iPhone, am waiting out my Verizon contract (and the next generation phone) to buy one. Oh, and still trying to figure out some scam that'll let me buy it with my grant money. Thus far? Nothin'.

Then again, if there wasn't a Mac product out there to wish for, really, what meaning would life have ;-) Gotta keep up my cult membership.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was amazed by the sleek thinness of the Mac Air (and the sleek ad campaign!). I felt myself oddly drawn, as though toward a common membership and understanding...But thank you, your words brought me back from the brink! No wonder its so thin and sleek -- its empty! Isn't that always the way with cults: glossy exteriors promising salvation, but when you look inside, there's not much too it (except perhaps a large price tag)? Thanks, I owe you one!

Sue said...

Yorke? Yorke? I know it's you!!