Friday, August 1, 2008

Mammograms

Yesterday, I spent ~3 hours in the Women's Health Clinic for a mammogram recheck. While I waited between procedures I began to reflect on the etiology of the mammogram. Where did it come from? How long has it been with us??

I don't remember ever seeing one depicted on an Assyrian relief -- and what, with their penchant for skin flaying and impaling prisoners, I'm sure this would have been a welcome addition to their arsenal.

When at the Tower of London, there were indeed clear precursors to stirrups and the evil speculum, but I don't remember seeing any proto-mammography machines.

Maybe the Spanish Inquisition? Perhaps all Women's Health practitioners are actually secretly Black Friars. An Opus Dei hair-shirt type instrument? I'm gonna have to go back and read The DaVinci Code to check.

I bet if they have any females at Guantanamo, they've got one...I know I was about ready to divulge war secrets a couple of times.

No comments: