Wednesday, November 7, 2007

News Stories

West Bank settlements 'expanding'
BBC.com, Nov. 7, 2007

Here we go again...and again...and again...

Curry-derived Molecules Might Be Too Spicy For Colorectal Cancers
ScienceDaily, Nov 6, 2007

Not that we really need an excuse to eat Indian food, but here ya go.

Paper or Plastic … or Neither
by Brendan I. Koerner
Slate.com, Nov. 6, 2007

Nice follow-up to the plastic bag overconsumption pictures from my Sept 22 (A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words) post.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Turmeric isn't hot or spicy - it's a main ingredient in curry, not a derivative of curry.

Therefore, you don't have to eat hot, spicy curries to get the "benefits" from it.

I know this particularly well now, as Issa and I had several culinary incidents involving the aforementioned spice. We now know to always ask for the yellow spice that gives color but not flavor. He and many others still call it "curry" but it's actually "turmeric" to many others.

I just wanted to set the spice record straight.

As for the first article, quelle surprise.

Sue said...

Thank you Julia Child Jr. For the hot spice whimps among us (me), this is good news.