Thursday, December 6, 2007

Garden of Eden is in Antarctica

I almost didn't read more from "Out of Antarctica" last night because my pillow beckoned to me. But I knew I couldn't wallow in ignorance any longer, so on I read.

The Garden of Eden? Antarctica. How is this possible you ask?? Well, the next section of the book is all about geology, the movement of the poles (in this case he takes it literally and has the whole freaking continent moving around rather than just magnetic north and south), and ancient maps that show the placement of Antarctica strategically located near the equator (because we know that ancient map makers never added anything mythic to their maps -- that giant sea monster on my map in the TV room is real I tell you, real!)

And then it came. I sensed it was looming on the horizon, but he made me wait till the "Conclusions" to actually see it. To paraphrase: study of the Bible shows us that humans have been around for approximately 6,000 years. And all the movement of continents? Post flood. Yep, straight from the Creation Museum. It had to be. Clearly the same rigorous thought processes were at work, the same clear use of the scientific method, the same portrayal of 'facts' to reach an 'obvious' conclusion.

And so now I'm done. I will go to our Southern continent with a renewed sense of awe. Maybe I'll even take a trowel. Hey archaeology friends, can I borrow one of yours??

____________________

ANTARCTICA FUN FACTS: The world's lowest temperature of -128 degrees F was recorded at the Russia Vostok Station in Antarctica. It almost never gets above 32° F (0° C) and the highest recorded temperature at the South Pole is 7° F (-13.8° C). The temperature in Antarctica once dropped 65° F in 12 minutes.

2 comments:

Michael Homan said...

Screw Adam, if you find Eve cryogenically frozen let me know. She was HOT!

Sue said...

Nobody's offered that trowel however. Upon further reflection I've realized a flame thrower might be the better excavation tool.