Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pin Cushion

Went to the doctor today, got a prescription for sea-sickness (just in case) and my flu shot. Then had to go off for blood tests and got a less than competent nurse. My arm, which has NEVER proven problematic for blood drawing, apparently wasn't working for her. Six tries later (and a different nurse) and they got what they wanted. Ouch. Now I've got band aides on my hands, both elbows, and wrist. Did I say "ouch" ??

Later in the day I went in for an eye exam and glasses. Because of my age (young as a spring chicken is what they meant I'm sure) I needed to have my pupils dilated to look at the interior structure better. Took hours before I could see again, so I had to nap the time away ;-)

Then off to dinner at the LaSalle Grille as payback for serving on the Rhodes/Marshall/Mitchell committee. Low lights, good for ginormous pupils. Everyone said I looked perpetually excited about the conversation. Fun evening. Now it's time for bed because I have an 8 am final. INHUMAN!!!
_______________
ANTARCTICA FUN FACTS --Some US laws directly apply to Antarctica. For example, the Antarctic Conservation Act provides civil and criminal penalties for the following activities: The taking of native mammals or birds; the introduction of nonindigenous plants and animals; entry into specially protected or scientific areas; the discharge or disposal of pollutants; and the importation into the US of certain items from Antarctica. Violation of the Antarctic Conservation Act carries penalties of up to $10 000 in fines and 1 year in prison. (Source: Information About Antarctica)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you managed to bleed out from a venipuncture, that would be quite the physiological feat. As would Wiley ever wasting away to a mere puffball =P. Sorry you had to get poked so many times. That's why we medical students practice on each other (seriously).

Sue said...

Still...could happen. Like me winning the lottery, marrying Sean Connery, and/or finding the Stargate while in Antarctica. That’s my point.

I’d say this woman needed some serious practice. I might send her a dozen oranges for Christmas...