Friday, December 14, 2007

Look at the BIG Brain on Matt !!

I was all set with skeleton action figures to illustrate today's haircut, new glasses, final exams, etc -- you know, the general excitement that is my life -- when I got a call from Matt G.

He received notice today from the University of Cambridge that he got into the Anthropology department for the Fall, AND that he's made the second cut for a Gates Foundation grant to pay for said education. They are flying him out to Annapolis in February for an interview. If he gets it, everything is paid for, plus a pretty generous stipend to boot.

It's GREAT news!! Congratulations, Mabruke, and Matzel Tov Matt!!!
__________________
ANTARCTICA FUN FACTS -- Random fun facts: Antarctica is the windiest continent on Earth. Marriages are among the most common of Antarctica's few legal ceremonies. The US is Antarctica's largest employer. Time is all but irrelevant to most visitors since the sun stays up 20 hours - most ships keep their clocks on the time at their point of departure. (Source: Lonely Planet: Antarctica)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats matt! though you're making all the other seniors (oh wait that's just me) look bad....I'll just blame it on my dumb little foot bones

Erica Kreller said...

Matt,

Way to go, that is so awesome to hear! You've come a long way from sleeping on the lab couch and being sat upon (although I hope you still use that couch for napping). Best of luck in England =).

Erica

Alicia said...

Congratulations Matt! (I may have to pester you for application tips next year...) Way to make Old Ben proud!

MMK and YMR said...

Yeah for Matt! I know that you will love Cambridge (okay not the weather or the food), but the department is great. Good luck in Annapolis. Morag

Louise A. Hitchcock said...

G'day Sue,

We don't have shrimp in Oz - they're called prawns!

Best, Louise

Anonymous said...

Matt-
You always told me that you wanted to become a corrupt lawyer? Oh well... Congratulations and good luck!

Zach Viets aka best roomate ever

Jaime said...

Yay Matt! I already told you that I heard some anthropology gossip, but here's another congratulations! Good luck concentrating on the finals, and I'll see you soon for some nerdy skull fun!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Matt!! This must be a result of inspiring TAs at Bone Camp. :) Just kidding! Good luck with finals...

Melissa

Anonymous said...

wow...Matt, that is amazing!!! The lesson from this: I need to buy some super glue and start at it if I want to get anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Matt! Do you think numbering bones will take me that far? I wish... But congratulations thats huge!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Matt! You do us all proud. I hope you enjoy your beer warm and your soup cold, like you'll find in England. It should be a great experience for you.
Michael Driscoll

Lesley said...

Nice one, Matt! Lots of Cambridge students end up at Catalhoyuk in the summer, so maybe I'll see you there someday!